Saturday, February 16, 2013

Healthy & Gluten Free - What to Eat

My Celiac Disease was undiagnosed for most of my life and I believe this put a major dent in my health. I've been gluten free for 10 years now and I have a never ending quest to make the best choices for my food. I try not to chose foods that are overly processed (very hard to remember in our hurry-up society) and I buy a lot of books on the subject. I ate wheat for my whole stupid life and it was killing me! Who knew? Now I want to know the who, what, and why of what goes in my body.

What to Eat by Marion Nestle is something I picked up a few years ago but I want to review it today as it is one of the best books out there on food.

Marion Nestle answers questions about organic foods, fats, bottled water and more. She goes in depth on good and bad food and explains why. She explains, in plain speak, about the scientific studies and all the pros and cons of foods like soy milk, margarine, and high fructose corn syrup. She even includes a section on Baby food.

My confession; I didn't sit down and read this book cover to cover. I read it in bites. I flipped from section to section because once I started questions started popping up in my mind and I wanted to investigate different subjects. I drink bottled water over tap water and I wanted to know if I was making a good choice or just wasting my time. I found out bottled water has the chlorine and fluoride removed. If not, they have to put it on the label. I always wondered about the fluoride issue since I think we ingest too much of it. As I thought of things when reading this book, I'd jump to the index to find what I needed. I've had this book for a few years and still pull it out from time to time to look things up.

If you want to know what's in your food and want the information to make healthy choices for you and your family, I'd definitely recommend What to Eat.  I give it 5 out of 5 stars!




No comments: