Saturday, June 20, 2009

Celiacs and other issues


I've been diagnosed with hypothyroid for about ten years. Celiac's since 2003. Going gluten free definitely made me feel better but underneath I still felt there was something else.
One lovely Saturday afternoon I was cleaning and my dd was watching a show called Medical Mysteries. The woman in the show had IBS, dizziness, and a few other issues. As each ailment was brought up I said, "I have that." After the third or fourth time my dd turned to me and said, "Hey, maybe you should get checked for whatever she has."
The woman in the show had Pernicious Anemia which is a B-12 deficiency.
Hmmm, so to the doctor I went for a test.
My B-12 was low. Now I get shots once a month and take a perscription B-12 vitamin every day. And I'm feeling much better!
The Internet doesn't have a lot of in depth information on Pernicious anemia but I found one wonderfully interactive site:

No comments: