Sunday, December 23, 2007

HOLIDAY EATING STRESS

One of the most difficult things to deal with when first diagnosed with Celiac Disease is eating anywhere else but home. At home you're safe, you know what you're eating and how it was prepared. But out there-- in the real world-- there is no telling what might be creeping onto your plate! So, what are your choices?
Here's my way of coping:
1. Eat before I go.
2. Bring something safe and gluten free to share with everyone. I usually try to make this extra special so everyone will love it. (Proving safe, gluten free food tastes great is my mission in life!)
3. Make my own individual meal that I can eat when everyone else eats.
4. If its in a restaurant; call ahead to insure they can cook a gluten free meal. (Lots of places have gluten free menus now so you might be pleasently surprized!)

Depending on the type of place you are invited to, one of these might work for you. The most important thing to know is that its not about the food--its about the people! Enjoy the season, your friends and family and remember food doesn't make the party--people do!
If you have other ideas please post them!
Happy Holidays!
Jeannie

No comments: